Website Recon - Discover web technologies
About Website Recon
This tool allows you to discover the technologies used by a target web application - server-side and client-side.
Reconnaissance is the first phase of a penetration test, in which the pentester finds as much information as possible about the target website.
The backend and frontend technologies used by the website can lead to constructing dedicated attack vectors in which the penetration tester exploits specific vulnerabilities of the identified software type and version.
For instance, if the Website Recon tool finds the following information about the target website:
- CMS: WordPress 4.1
- Server: Apache 2.2
- Operating system: Linux
- Target URL: is the address of the website which will be searched for known technologies.
- Scan single website: the tool accesses a single URL and detects existing technologies.
- Scan IP address: the tool first determines the open web ports on the target IP (80, 81, 8080, 443, 8443), then finds the DNS names (virtual hosts) associated with the IP and lastly it initiates HTTP(S) connections to each port by using each DNS name. For each of this combination, the rool reports the web technologies identified.
- Scan IP range: does the same as "Scan IP address" but for a range of IP addresses (maximum 255 IPs).
How it works
Website Recon uses Wappalyzer as a scanning engine. It has a consistent database of web application signatures which allows it to correctly identify over 900 web technologies from more than 50 categories.
The tool looks at multiple website elements in order to determine its technologies:
- Server HTTP response headers
- HTML Meta Generator tags
- HTML specific content
- HTML specific comments
- Website's favicon